The Budget Sommelier

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Wandering for Wine

O.K., so I may not have picked the best time to launch this blog. I’m fighting a virus so it’s going to be a few days until I get to pop another cork. But that doesn’t keep me from shopping – or “Wandering for Wine” as I like to call it.

So on my lunch break today I hit Whole Foods. “Whole Foods?” you say. “For wine? Cheap wine?” It took me awhile to come around, but I am more and more frequently finding some tasty wines here. And their “buy 6 or more and get 10% off” program makes them even cheaper!!!

So here’s what I bought but haven’t tasted yet:

Cotes du Rhone
2002 Domaine des Coccinelles $8.99
2002 Chateau de Domazan $8.99
2001 Domaine du Vieux Chene $9.99

Bordeaux
2001 Cote de Bourg $9.99
2001 Saint-Emilion, Chateau La Marsalle $12.99

Italy
2001 Mostroberardim, Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio $7.99

The Domaine du Vieux Chene I have actually had within the last couple of weeks and I bought everything they had in stock – but they’re getting more. It is just killer, incredible blossom in the mouth, not tannic, delicious berry fruit. You pretty much can’t go wrong with any 2000 or 2001 Cotes du Rhone in my opinion – trouble is supplies are drying up.

So as soon as I start opening bottles, I’ll let you you know how these babies fare.

Hoping to keep updating the blog site. I gotta figure out how to put pictures up here. Once I do, I’ll post label images. I don’t know about you, but the French and Italian names go in one ear and out the other (and when we get into Germany – forgetaboudit!!)

Also going to find some links to other cool wine internet spots so be sure to keep checking the sidebar!!

Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home